Sunday, August 6, 2017

Preparation for the "Maiden Voyage"

If you're reading this, thanks, for coming back. I want you all to know that our official first trip don't begin until this winter, after Christmas, so in the meantime, I have a lot of preparation to do to our home on wheels. Cliche, isn't it? No, not really, it's always a surprise to me how many people in the world don't really have an interest in, or desire to use, a travel trailer. It never ceases to amaze. It's clean, easy to tow, cheaper to boondock, and you're not using the sheets or comforters that have been abused in ways that should prevent anyone from covering their skin with. Okay, I went a little overboard with that, but it's true. Every time we would stay at a Hotel/Motel, I would rip the comforter off. I didn't trust them. I know for a fact (from an unknown source) that the comforters don't get washed as frequently as the sheets/pillow cases do. That's disgusting. At least with the travel trailer, your sheets are as clean as you've kept them. I don't want to get on a rant, so will just end with our Airstream is how we do it.

When I say prep, I mean I'm prepping our 1964 Airstream Globetrotter. It's our beauty, and something I've worked on for the past eight years or so. I've got all the bugs worked out of her to make her road worthy. She's 19 feet in length. I've heard it from many, isn't that going to get old, being that close to each other all the time, won't you need space? My short answer is no, we've been together for many years, and our space has been invaded on more than one occasion, especially raising seven children. So sharing ourselves in the tight confines of our Airstream is just a part of minimizing our situation and furthering our goal of retirement. The smaller the Airstream, the cheaper the trip, right? Less gas to put into the truck, quicker to turn around making a "U" turn in the middle of the road, if we get lost, and just less worry. If we stop talking to each other or get into a fight, we have the great outdoors to greet us and separate us. After all, we aren't perfect, we do dispute, and we do argue, on occasion. 

Back to preparation. It's August, so before the weather turns sometime over the next two months, I have to polish the Airstream, give its aluminum sheen some protection. I won't bore you with detail of the job, I'm sure I've posted a video of me doing it somewhere, and the information is endless on polishing Airstreams out in the blue nowhere. Some of the basic preparation is, I've got to plug her in, run the works: the refrigerator, the water pump, the electricity, the range for cooking. Once I confirm it is all functioning, I unplug her and do the rest with only the propane. That confirmed, just have to tow her in to get the old Axle checked by our mechanics, (she is over 50 years old) make sure the bearings are packed and ready, and she's ready.

The bore of detail is finished. The job is set, and I'm OCD enough to do it again a week or two before we take off. So that's the preparation, and for those of you interested in seeing out beauty, I'm posting a picture below, we were actually boondocking (this topic will be covered in the near future) in the picture below at Soldier Lake in Hiawatha National Forest. Until next time, folks, I'll be prepping.